Wednesday, April 23, 2008

"We must strive to be like the moon."

My absolute favorite passage so far is the end of chapter one, on page sixteen. It is the section about the moon, and what Ishmael's grandmother used to say about it: "We must strive to be like the moon." His grandmother continues on to explain how the sun causes grief among people, whether it is shining or hidden away behind clouds. However, no one complains when the night comes and the moon is out. The moon provides the sweetest light, serene and beautiful, and "Everyone becomes happy and appreciates the moon in their own special way." I also admire Ishmael for this, how he admits that this is one of the things from his childhood that he is glad to remember.

4 comments:

MyLuckyNumber7 said...

I think that this is a very deep and well thought out saying that Ishmael's grandmother told him. I completely agree with her when she says that we should strive to be like the moon. I think that Ishmael does an outstanding job of remembering the things that make him a whole person. He would not have turned out the way he did if he had not expierienced the war as a child or if his grandma had not told him such a memorable quote.

torsty20 said...

One thing that I am noticing is that as Ishmael is alone or even when he is with a group, whenever he is down, or scared, or just trying not to imagine death, he tries to remember the happy and good times of his life. Looking back to his childhood he is able to find comfort and solace which I think is a really neat point that he added to his book, the fact that he added these personal moments is great!

faught8 said...

I also enjoyed this part of the book. I find it interesting how Ishmael continues to refer to the moon throughout his struggle. In chapters following the passage about the moon, Ishmael then compares his journey to the moon. He says that the clouds keep blocking the moon and getting in its way. He then says that throughout his journey he is also blocked by clouds, although his clouds are much bigger. Along with this passage in the book, I also enjoy reading the other things that Ishmael describes about his past. All of the stories about his grandmother add extra meaning to the book and provide the reader with more information. I hope that I will read more about Ishmael's past and more about his grandmother and the rest of his family.

Jojo17 said...

I agree with you, that passage was very moving and thoughtful. I agree with Ishmael's grandmother about the moon, and how everyone likes the moon and appreciates it. I think that it is very sweet how Ishmael remembered this saying of his grandmother's. Ishmael remembers what his grandmother and other loved ones told him and taught him to give himself strength and to remember his loved ones who are not with him.